Tuesday, October 6, 2015

8 days...

The hospital called yesterday. We have a tentative release date for Wednesday. 

And by release, we mean drive across the parking lot to their intensive outpatient facilities, where she will immediately begin that program. 

While I am overjoyed that she will be home, the joy is tempered with the fact that this battle isn't over yet. This battle will never be over.

As proactive as I am regarding mental illness and stopping the stigma, I've noticed that I often refer to our looming diagnosis as "mental health issues," instead of mental illness. Why? Why not call a spade a spade? Because internally, I'm struggling with this. "Mental Health Issues" softens the blow. It implies that it will go away. Issues are something that can be worked out. Mediated. Issues go away. This will not. Mental illness is forever. 

And let's be honest, mental illness runs deep within our family tree. I have PTSD, panic disorder, depression. Her sister has OCD, anxiety, depression. Her father... well... Anywho... the roots run deep. But, so does the silence. It's deafening. 

I've had several people tell me that they are proud of me for being a voice for mental illness and for not being ashamed by what's 'going on'... again, softening of language. What is implied is that I am not ashamed of my child's struggle with mental illness. Hey, guess what? This stint in the hospital is killing me, but I am definitely not ashamed of my child's mental illness. This is not her fault anymore than her appendix was her fault. 

We will get through this in the same way we got through her 4 day stint in the hospital, last spring. We will ask questions. We will hold her when she cries. We will stand watch over her, to the detriment of my grades and Jasen's sleep schedule. Jasen and I will sacrifice whatever we need to sacrifice to give her the tools she needs to live with this mental illness. Because that's what good parents do. Because that's what good people do. 

[If your aren't a nerd, you  might want to skip the next paragraph.]

In all of my writing on this topic, I've noticed that I use a lot of 'war' references... "Mental illness is a battle" "[her] struggle with mental illness." I talk about mental illness like it's something to be fought against and won. Unfortunately, mental illness seems to be a lot like our country's time in the Middle East... never ending and not really won. Lives lost. Families mourning. Destruction. Ambushes. Failed attempts. Secrets. Silence. 


As a country, we need to make some changes to the stigma behind mental illness. We don't expect cancer patients to remain silent in the fight. In fact, every single time I see a doctor (which is a lot), they ask about our family history of cancer. I answer those questions with confidence, because I know that history. But if people were to ask about the family history of mental illness, I have only the diagnoses that I heard whispered about in the kitchen at my grandma's house (I was a nosy kid... what can I say?). "She was living in her car? OMG." "I tried to get him help, but the hospital turned him away." "Well, you know, her entire biological father's side had a drinking problem." "That woman is batshit crazy, but no one seems to be able to do anything about it." Ok... the last one might have come out of my own mouth a time or two. 

What if we lived in a world where mental illnesses weren't whispered about behind closed doors? What if we weren't afraid to say "_____________ is overwhelming for me and I need help"? What if friends asked how your were doing, without fear you might break with the norm and tell the truth? 

For the sake of my child and for others like her, can we please just stop the stigma? Can we talk about mental illness like we talk about any other illness? Can we be compassionate, instead of telling people to man up? Please? 


No comments:

Post a Comment