Saturday, June 21, 2014

Jezebel

My favorite name has always been Jezebel. Always. Today, Jasen & I were discussing what exactly made Jezebel such an awful person and for the life of me, I couldn't remember.

So. I googled. I came across this article: http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/people-cultures-in-the-bible/people-in-the-bible/how-bad-was-jezebel/

The article is long, but it gives a pretty darn good analysis of what the authors' of Jezebel's story were really trying to do with the telling of her story. They also give a slightly different, more historical, version of her story.

The conclusion says this: In a kinder analysis, Jezebel emerges as a fiery and determined person, with an intensity matched only by Elijah’s. She is true to her native religion and customs. She is even more loyal to her husband. Throughout her reign, she boldly exercises what power she has. And in the end, having lived her life on her own terms, Jezebel faces certain death with dignity.

Hmmm... She sounds pretty awesome to me. Funny how stepping back from the faith I was indoctrinated into, allows for a deeper understanding of truth and history. I will continue to love the name & feel a somewhat kindred spirit to Jezebel.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment